The position is open until filled. Read the full description and how to apply. Note, this position is covered under an IATSE Local 205 Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Status: Full-Time Reports To: Director of Production Salary/Benefits: IATSE Local 205
Summary: The Paramount Theatre, a 100 yr. old Historic Theatre and one of the few remaining hemp houses in the United States, is seeking a qualified Fulltime House Carpenter
Scope: As a working member of the Paramount Theatre house crew the Head Carpenter is responsible for managing/overseeing the safe and efficient operation of all stage equipment during work calls, load-ins and load-outs, for all productions at the Paramount Theatre, including events and rentals. The Carpenter is also responsible for oversight and management of the maintenance and upkeep of all stage systems and equipment in the Paramount Theatre. This is a staff position, you are expected to commit to a schedule of forty (40) hours per week, attend meetings as required, work independently and help plan for the long-term preservation of the theatre.
Responsibilities: (in no particular order of importance)
Acts as Crew Chief, aiding the Production Managers in running the crew for each event. The Carpenter is responsible for confirming times sheets are filled out correctly and managing the crews in a safe and efficient manner. They are responsible for ensuring that schedule is maintained & breaks are adhered to, they will inform Production Management of changes in a timely manner. On calls with IATSE Steward, the Carpenter will work closely with the Steward.
- Carpenter is responsible for keeping the weekly work schedule for House Heads.
- Have a working knowledge of all other departments (Lighting, Audio, Fly & Projection)
- The safe and efficient operation of the Theatre and Stage systems.
- Participate in the planning and safe installation of all stage systems at the Paramount Theatre. Including but not limited to; Audio, Rigging/Fly, Electrics.
- As Head Carpenter you will communicate with Production Manager at ½hr and top of show to confirm FOH is ready. In most cases you will make the calls to Lighting, Audio, Fly & Projection as required to start the show.
- Work as part of the non-departmentalized show crew for all productions at the Paramount.
- Actively provide support for presented and rental productions and events. This includes, but is not limited to company functions such as backstage tours, on-stage parties and events, photo shoots, etc…
- Consult with Production Management with respect to purchase/rental of equipment and expendables needed for upkeep of the stage/theatre and individual needs of shows.
- Schedule, perform and/or assist in performing inspection of all Paramount Theatre systems. Inform Production Management of any upkeep, repair or routine maintenance to be performed in a timely manner. Work with the Dept. Heads to schedule required maintenance/repairs.
- Coordinate with other Dept. Heads to budget needs throughout the year
- Work with and communicate with other House Dept. Heads (Audio, Lighting, Fly, Projection) to maintain a unified and organized house crew.
- Keep informed and up to date with training and skills including changes, technical advancements and safety protocols in the industry.
- Manage personnel safety and uphold safety protocols within the department. Participate in all required training.
- Attend production meetings as required.
- Reports directly to Director of Production/Technical Director (Asst. Director of Production & Production Manager)
- Other duties as assigned.
At a minimum, the House Carpenter must:
- Manage and prioritize the day to day duties of the House Crew on non-show days
- Supervise a crew of up to 50 in a safe & efficient manner during load-ins, load-outs, work & show calls.
- Have the ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multitask. Must be able to see the bigger picture.
- Have the ability to work independently & as part of a team.
- Be able to act as liaison between visiting production and local crew
- Efficiently communicate to what is required/expected, keep them motivated through completion of tasks.
- Understand budgets, estimates and scheduling and the importance of adherence
- Be able to efficiently supervise and instruct assistants. Be able to direct others.
- Maintain a clean, safe, unobstructed Theatre/Stage.
Qualifications, Education, and Experience:
- Have 3-5yrs experience as a Head Carpenter either in a House or Road position (or comparable experience)
- The safe use and application of power tools & hand tools.
- They must have good carpentry skills, working knowledge of stage carpentry and the skills required to build a variety of scenic elements as well as the application of such elements. (We are not a producing house and as such we do not build sets for shows. We do have to build individual items as required for certain self-presented events). They must also possess the ability to make repairs to the stage and house as required.
- Knowledge of and experience with a single purchase counterweight and a hemp fly system.
- Working knowledge of chain motor rigging.
- Working knowledge and experience with theatrical rigging.
- Complete understanding of backstage etiquette. A good working knowledge of technical theatre practices.
- Exceptional collaborative attitude. Exceptional customer service attitude.
- Excellent work ethic including but not limited to: time management, work flow management, self-motivation, diplomacy, and interpersonal and collaborative communication skills
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds unassisted. Must be able to climb stairs & ladders, kneel, bend at the waist, and stand for extended periods of time. (Must be able to climb 50’ straight ladder to the grid and not have a fear of heights)
Requirements also include, but are not limited to
- An intimate knowledge of knot tying (including but not limited to: bowline, belays, prussic hitches, clove hitches) block & falls and the basic laws of physics.
- Working knowledge of Fly system, Sound, Lighting & Projection (digital & film). Carpenter may be called upon to help out in these areas as needed.
- Basic Computer skills
- Organize and communicate information clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Work in a detail oriented manner, be resourceful and flexible, and be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Apply feedback to improve performance.
- Effectively problem solve and troubleshoot.
- Face demanding situations with tenacity, diplomacy and sensitivity under a lot of pressure.
- Work independently AND as part of a team
- Attend staff meetings as scheduled by Production Management.
- Work irregular hours, evening hours, long hours, late hours & weekend shifts as required.
Apply: instructions on paramount website
Deadline: Open till filled.
This is a salaried 10 month 40hr week contract August 1 – May 31 and then hourly/on-call from June 1 – July 31, Texas is a right to work state you do not have to be a member of the union to accept this position.
The Paramount Theatre, Stateside at the Paramount & Austin Theatre Alliance are a family. We spend a lot of time together in these buildings and as such the ideal candidate will be able to mesh technical proficiency with social skills & a love for preserving this 100yr old gem. To learn more about The Paramount & Stateside at The Paramount, visit our website at www.austintheatre.org. We are host to 2 Film Festivals & 1 TV Festival each year. We have a diverse season of shows plus we produce/present a 4 day 10 venue Comedy Festival each April & our annual Gala takes over 2 city blocks in Downtown Austin.